[GRASS-dev] Re: GUI support for TclTk 8.5

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 05:56:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> Maybe this would help on windows as well? Currently, you have to install
> tcltk 8.4, to get nviz working

Really? NVIZ with Tcl/Tk 8.5.0 on Windows works fine for me, as I've
already reported to the list several times. Benjamin reported that it hung
for him when adding a vector points layer, but I have no problem with
that. Is there maybe a problem with 8.5.1?

However, in a bit of further testing this morning I've discovered a new
error that appears from different sources:

couldn't duplicate input handle: bad file number
   while executing
"exec $src_boot/bin/g.gisenv GISBASE"
   (procedure "Nv_makeGUI" line 13)
   invoked from within
"Nv_makeGUI.top"
   (file
"s:/grass/trunk/dist.i686-pc-mingw32\etc\nviz2.2\scripts\nviz2.2_script"
line 1025)

But the same error occurs in other places too - notably the call to
g.gisenv in grass_file_name{} in mapBrowser.tcl. So I think it is some
general Windows issue (possibly also related to Tcl 8.5). Maybe it's a Tcl
bug or maybe the calls to exec need to be organised in a different way.

No more time to look into it right now but the next thing I'd like to do
would be to check the Tcl release notes/changelog for any changes related
to Win32 pipes handling, and maybe try the same thing twith 8.5.1

Paul