[GRASS-dev] Re: another r.resamp.interp bug report

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 19 01:09:16 EDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:49 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>
>> Michael - I have added an example from the book at the bottom of
>> this page - please try it and let me know whether it works.
>> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat07/
>> ncexternal/demo.txt
>>
>> Please keep in mind that r.resample* is for reinterpolation of
>> continuous data to a different resolution not for interpolation
>> from scattered data (see the equations in the Appendix on what it
>> does)  (r.surf.idw is designed for scattered data input in raster
>> format). You should convert your points from raster to vector
>> points and use the v.surf* modules to interpolate.
>>
>> I hope this helps and let me know if the examples don't work
>>

> Thanks Helena. The issue that I ran into today (embarrassingly with
> my class) is that of the v.surf.*modules, v.surf.bspline does not
> work (I reported this sometime back), v.surf.rst crashes and brings
> down the entire GUI (this is new), leaving only v.surf.idw as the
> only functional interpolation routine in todays SVN trunk.

nothing has changed in rst except for some message standardization 4
months ago and build cleanup (makefile) by glynn 6 months ago.
I am wondering whether something in GUI has changed that conflicts
with what rst is doing (or rst is doing something that the modified
GUI does not like ) - perhaps there is some computation before
G_parser is called - would that crash it?
It is 1am now so I need to go but I can look at it tomorrow if I can
get some hints on what the problem may be.
I never run it from GUI so it might have been there for a while.

Helena