[GRASS-dev] backporting help for SVN

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 26 07:23:58 EDT 2008

William,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:53 AM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Markus,
>
>  Are there any policies on developers backporting their changes to
>  release branches?

Yes.

>  Do it theirselves?  Ask another to do it (ie you)
>  to keep some review sanity?

It depends: preferably a developer should be able to
backport him/herself but
- do not break the release branch
- make tests
- only fix bugs, do not introduce new features

If the latter is unclear, it should be discussed on this list.

>  I don't want to mess it up in attempting to do it myself.  I was
>  hoping it would be as simple as "apply this trunk changeset to that
>  branch", but it looks like I now need to have a local copy of the
>  branch so I can commit the merges.  Though, mine are simple enough
>  (mostly), and isolated, that I could just do a diff and commit.

If someone doesn't want to or cannot commit him/herself, a diff
is appreciated.

See new page
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/HowToBackport

Markus