[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #110: db/drivers/dbf fail to build due to undefined reference to 'SASetupDefaultHooks'

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Mar 31 08:26:57 EDT 2008

GRASS GIS wrote:

> #110: db/drivers/dbf fail to build due to undefined reference to
> 'SASetupDefaultHooks'
> ----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  marisn    |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>      Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
>  Revision: 30825
>  OS: Ubuntu 7.10 64bit

>  /home/dace/soft/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_shape.so:
>  undefined reference to `SASetupDefaultHooks'

Those calls were added in the latest revision:

    r30804 | neteler | 2008-03-30 10:21:48 +0100 (Sun, 30 Mar 2008) | 1 line

    sync'ed to GDAL SVN-trunk: gdal/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/shape/

They appear to be part of GDAL, so GDAL is now a dependency of the DBF
driver:

    r30820 | neteler | 2008-03-30 20:23:55 +0100 (Sun, 30 Mar 2008) | 1 line

    added GDALLIBS for SASetupDefaultHooks

You say that you're using r30825, and your link command has -lgdal, so
it may be that you need a newer version of GDAL.

Markus: is this change really necessary? Specifically, is the
GDAL-isation actually necessary?

AFAICT, apart from some sanity checks in SHPReadObject(), the change
is almost entirely down to using GDAL's custom I/O interface.

I would have thought it would be better to just add the sanity checks
and do without GDAL's I/O interface, particularly as the code can only
ever use the default hooks (which presumably are just the stdio
function).