[GRASS-dev] Announcing libLAS

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat May 3 17:49:36 EDT 2008

High Mateus,

we would love to see at least a direct input of LAS data into GRASS
using the libLAS library!
Other tools would be welcome too.

There is a growing number of GRASS users who work with lidar data (I
have been using lidar data  with GRASS for my research for over 7
years now, even before LAS was established).
Many general GRASS modules  are great for lidar data processing and
analysis and there is also a set of specialized tools. But if the
data come in LAS format we need to use external tools (e.g. LAStools
- I see that libLAS is based on it) to convert to ascii and import
(using v.in.ascii or r.in.xyz). Having a module that reads LAS data
directly would be a great help.

I was just invited to USGS workshop to show some applications of
lidar data done with open source software tools and I am sure that
the first question I will get is whether GRASS can read LAS data - it
would be great if I could say yes.

But this will raise a question for GRASS dev whether we want to add
another dependency to GRASS in addition to GDAL and PROJ and a number
of optional ones?

Thanks for asking and I hope we will see LAS support in GRASS soon (I
have plenty of data to test it),

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor