[GRASS-dev] call for sample dataset: r.hydro.CASC2D

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu May 8 20:56:04 EDT 2008

Have you tried 30m DEM in spearfish? I used to run it on it but it
was problematic.
The code needs a very smooth DEM and a very small time step to avoid
crashing.
It should be able to handle depressions (water fills them and flows
out) as simwe does,
but the time step needs to be small (seconds or so, depending on
resolution).

Or try it first on a very small, simple watershed - e.g. in nc_spm
set region to

g.region rural_1m
g.region s=s+290 res=2   (this will pick up only upper part of the
watershed without the road)
and run it with elev_lid792_2m.
We have both rainfall data and continuous monitoring set up there and
there is an example for
it for r.sim.water in GRASSbook so you can compare the results.

If you want to try it for a larger area with lower resolution try the
500m DEM
elev_state_500m for a smaller subset south of rural_1m. That may be
actually easier
to run because you don't need such a small time step.
Or whatever you have tried it with - run it with smaller time step
and smooth your DEM
and you may be able to get it running. Running it with SRTM data may
be a challenge
(smoothing may help).

I have found some animations of the results (I think this was run at
90m resolution and
a very small raster by todays standards) but I don't have those data
any more:
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/viz97/brown/doc/movies/
xganim.mpg
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/viz//movies/gage.mpg