[GRASS-dev] Grass add-ons and binary grass version

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 23:15:58 EDT 2008

Roberto Marzocchi wrote:
> I made a script for grass, wich is now  on the add-on
> repository
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns    o
> https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/raster/r.inund.fluv/
>
> With the makefile is possible install a grass-addon if a
> user installed grass from a binary?
> I tried, but I'm not expert!

For C modules which need to be compiled at the user end the way to do that is with the "GEM",
 http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/manuals/html63_user/gem/index.html

For shell scripts make sure all executables are in some directory (and each has the executable bit set). Set the GRASS_ADDON_PATH environment variable to that path before starting GRASS and it should be able to see & run them.

I think for fortran just make sure that stand-alone executables wind up in the GRASS_ADDON_PATH with the shell script. I don't know about how well GEM supports that currently. (??) If the fortran code needs to reference the GRASS headers when it is compiled by the user, it will probably have to either be compiled with a full source build of GRASS or take advantage of the GEM files.

Hamish

ps- please use descriptive svn commit messages.