[GRASS-dev] Simplified G_percent() output in batch jobs?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 07:52:42 EST 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I am running a large number of processing jobs on a
>>> cluster and the job manager output is cluttered with
>>> control chars from G_percent().
>>> It would be great to have a switch (or detection magic)
>>> to output the plain ASCII style 0..10...20.. in this cases.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's already there?
>>
>> set GRASS_VERBOSE=0  ?
>
> No, because some of these jobs runs for many hours and I
> would like to see the progress (to estimate the total time).

Hi Markus,
I'm interested as to what your log file looks like and how you discern
which percentage value is coming from which process. Are they not all
mixed together anyway? I was thinking perhaps you could filter the stderr
of each GRASS module through a short C program that could strip the
backspace characters and print the name of the module with it's progress
value on a new line every time there is a new percentage point? Or is the
problem not complicated enough to need such a solution?

Paul