[GRASS-dev] wrong configure documentation for compilation with wxwidgets ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Nov 5 08:52:19 EST 2008

On 05/11/08 14:41, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/11/5 Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>:
>> Below discussion comes from the DebianGIS mailing list. It raises an issue
>> about documentation of the configure options.
>>
>> ./configure --help shows:
>>
>> --with-wxwidgets[=path/wx-config] enable wxWidgets support (wx-config with
>> path, e.g. '--with-wxwidgets=/usr/local/bin/wx-config', default: no)
>>
>> but this does not seem to work, while below solution does. Looking through
>> the configure file, I don't really understand why this is so (but then
>> again, I can't claim that I understand everything in that file).
>>
>> So, is the documentation wrong, or does below solution just work by chance ?
>> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:16:26 +0100,
>> Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> It should be:
>>> --with-wx=/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8\
>>> --with-wxwidgets \
>>
>> Yes, this worked.  The packages built fine.  The only problem reamining
>> is the clash betwee grass-preview-doc and grass-doc I posted earlier.
>> Thanks everyone for your help.
>
> there is no --with-wx just --with-wxwidgets which takes as argument
> *path to wx-config* (similary e.g. to --with-gdal)

But what is weird is that the above combination works, whereas giving
the path to wx-widgets doesn't...

Here's what Seb wrote:

> However, modifying that target as:
>
> ,-----[ rules (lines: 66 - 67) ]
> | 		    --with-wxwidgets=/usr/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 \
> `-----
>
> still resulted in this at build time:
>
> ---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
> checking whether to use wxWidgets... yes
> checking for wx-config... /usr/bin/wx-config
> checking wxWidgets version... 2.6.3
> configure: error: *** wxWidgets 2.8.1 or later is required.
> make: *** [config-stamp] Error 1
> debuild: fatal error at line 1301:
> couldn't exec fakeroot debian/rules:

And both for him and for me it works with with-wx.

???

Moritz

IIUC, configure looks for the string wx-config in the path given to
wxwidgets, but as you can see in Debian (when you have several version
of wxwidgets installed) you the file might not be called *wx-config*.