[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: renaming of some modules

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:42:16 EDT 2008

Hello Paul and Markus,

at some point would it be useful to get an Import Wizard up and running?
It would call the necessary r.in* or v.in* according to needed formats...

Michael and I worked on a wxWizard at some point,
maybe it could be a good time to resurrect that work?

Yann

2008/10/13 Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>  Any objections (the motivation is obvious)? I would also update
>>>>

>>> Hi Markus,
>>> Can you elaborate on the motivation? As it is I feel an obvious objection
>>> is
>>> that this implies there is no other way to import raster and vector data
>>> than through GDAL and OGR respectively - but I count 8 r.in.*, 14
>>> r.out.*, 4
>>> v.in.* and 6 v.out.* modules in 7.x. So IMHO it is confusing.
>>>

>> Well, teaching GRASS over the year almost always brought up the
>> newcomer question: "Where [censored] is the import module?".
>> r.in.gdal or v.in.ogr is *not* obvious at all.
>>

> Thanks - surprisingly it wasn't actually obvious to me that the motive was
> newbie confusion! And yes I agree, good point - I also vaguely remember when
> starting GRASS being confused as to when r.in.gdal might be useful. And
> taken alone, r.import and r.export are very good names, easy to remember and
> also quick to type. I guess it's just the inconsistency that will then exist
> with r.in.* and r.out.* that I'm concerned about.
>
> If r.in.gdal was renamed to something like r.in.multi or r.in.various that
> would be one way of preserving the consistency. Renaming r.in.* to
> r.import.* and r.out.* to r.export.* at the same time as renaming r.in.gdal
> to r.import would be another possiblity for preserving consistency. Neither
> of those are ideal; I'm not seriously suggesting either of them.
>
> Is the idea of the proposal then to make new users see r.import as the
> standard import tool they should try first, and that r.in.* are legacy
> modules to look at if they have difficulty or special requirements? If so, I
> guess I'm generally in favour of it after all.
>
> Paul

Yann Chemin
International Rice Research Institute
Office: http://www.irri.org/gis