[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] g.xlist/g.xremove addons (C version of g.mlist/g.mremove)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 6 17:05:08 EDT 2008

Huidae Cho wrote:

> > If we decide to keep the script versions as a fallback, those will be
> > replaced with Python versions in 7.x, so they can be changed to use
> > extended REs (the shell script uses sed, which only supports basic
> > REs). Or we can make the C versions use basic REs for -r and add e.g.
> > -e for extended REs.

FWIW, I've done this; -r uses basic REs, -e uses extended REs.

> I didn't mean whether or not we need to keep the script versions; I
> doubt the need for fallback versions.  What I suggest is to remove the
> script versions (already done)

The script versions are still there, and should be kept until we're
sure that there aren't any problems with the C versions (e.g. whether
the configure checks for the regex functions are sufficient).

> and "rename" the C version of
> g.mlist/g.mremove to g.xlist/g.xremove as its current name g."m"list
> (modified g.list) is somewhat awkward compared to g."x"list (extended
> g.list).

Renaming them means that any scripts which use them will need to be
changed, documentation needs to be changed, etc, which seems like
gratuitous incompatibility.

> I don't think it's a good idea to have two flags for basic and extended
> REs unless grass7 should keep backward compatibility.

We don't have to keep compatibility, but that doesn't mean that we
break things without reason.

AFAICT, the new modules provide exactly the same functionality (and
with the same names) as the existing scripts. Anything that worked
before with the scripts should continue to work with either the
scripts or the C modules.

Except for one thing: the g.mremove script has dview= rather than
3dview=. The C modules has 3dview=, and both versions of g.mlist use
type=3dview. I'm not sure if there's a reason for this, or if it was
just a typo.