[GRASS-dev] r.roughset - license information

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Sep 27 13:32:51 EDT 2008

g_massa\@libero\.it wrote:

> My new grass module, /r.roughset/
> (http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#r.roughset), make a
> geographic rough set analysis for discovery knowledge. It is based on
> rough set library (RSL ver. 2.0 - M.Gawrys, J.Sienkiewicz) that I've
> downloaded as C code several years ago from ftp address
> (ftp://ftp.ii.pw.edu.pl/pub/Rough ) without license indication (public
> domain, I think). Now, both ftp and e-mail address are inactive and
> the RSL project look died.
>
> Rough set geographic analysis is really interesting, I think, and I'd
> like maintain RSL basically for r.roughset GRASS module develop. So,
> the questions is: can I add a GPL license at all RSL code ?

It depends upon whether the code is "public domain" in the sense of
"copyright waived". The term "public domain" can also mean that the
information isn't "secret".

If someone publishes code (or any other original work) without an
explicit licence, then you don't have any legal right to use it. A
licence doesn't restrict usage, it allows it. Without a licence,
almost any use of the code is prohibited by copyright law.

If the licensing situation is unclear, I suggest that you try to
establish contact with the authors (or the university) before
inserting any licence notices into the code.