[GRASS-dev] About the vector changes

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 04:41:17 EDT 2009

Hamish:

>>> it would be nice if v.info could work (even partially) for maps
>>>
>> without topology built. e.g. massive LIDAR datasets.
>>

> MMetz:
>
>> It could be useful if more vector modules could support vectors without
>> topology, most importantly all v.surf.* modules. Not a new idea, was
>> mentioned earlier.
>>

> AFAIK, they already do.

Oops, right.

Should v.info calculate bounding box and number of features for level 1?
This can take some time because the whole coor file must be read, but I
would find it useful to know the extends and number of points (, lines,
boundaries, centroids) even for level 1. That helps setting the right
region for the v.surf.* modules.

Markus