[GRASS-dev] removal of status messages from the vector cleaning fns

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:37:24 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit frustrated by this change:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset?new=grass%2Ftrunk%2Flib%2Fvector%2FVlib%2Fbreak_lines.c%4034284&old=grass%2Ftrunk%2Flib%2Fvector%2FVlib%2Fbreak_lines.c%4033769
>
> "Eliminate non-standard logging mechanism"
>
> basically Vect_break_lines() and friends had its own custom G_percent()
> thing going on and that's been removed and not been replaced by
> anything.

I added G_percent and G_verbose_message in grass7 r36493 to all cleaning
functions present in the vector libs, the cleaning functions present in
v.clean also have now G_percent and G_verbose_message. I was not aware
that there was something similar but non-standard in pre r34284, that
was before I started working on the vector libs.

Should these calls to G_percent and G_verbose_message in the cleaning
functions be backported to 65 (and 64) ?

Vect_break_lines_list is terribly complicated code, I had a look at it
but could not come up with good ideas to speed it up. So even if you see
progress with G_percent, you may see not a lot of progress...

FWIW, I added in r36493
G_percent(iline, nlines, 1);
and not
G_percent(iline, nlines, 3);