[GRASS-dev] Re: modules in official grass distribution

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 1 09:06:30 EST 2009

Michael,
(I take liberty to cc grass-dev)

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> Your name is on r.surf.idw and r.surf.idw2
> Can you tell me what the difference is?

yes, see below.
From: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:

> 1) As modules are added to the official grass distribution, either as
> bin or script files, is there some way to keep track of this so that
> Martin and I (or anyone else who would like to help) can add them to
> the menu? AFAICT, there is no announcement that a module gets added;
> it just sort of migrates in.

I think that developers have to announce it.

> 2) What is the difference between r.surf.idw and r.surf.idw2?

 (from the manual):
* r.surf.idw:
... attempts to minimize the number of input data
 ... r.surf.idw will generally outperform r.surf.idw2 except when ...
* r.surf.idw2:
 ... does not work with latitude/longitude data bases.

Question: why do we have to keep r.surf.idw2?

> 3) Why hasn't r.mfilter simply been replaced by r.mfilter.fp instead
> of both being in the distribution?

No, only in GRASS 7.

Markus