[GRASS-dev] New WinGrass release (6.4.0svn)

Colin Nielsen colin.nielsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:13:39 EST 2009

Michael,
> Does this binary yet solve the scripts problem that keeps NVIZ TclTk from
> launching from the wxPython menus?

No it doesn't. As soon as this issue is fixed in releasebranch_6_4, we
can make another binary package. We've moved to twice monthly releases
of WinGrass, with Helmut and I alternating releases, so once its done
it won't be long before it makes it into a release.

> How difficult would it be to make a GRASS 6.5 or 7 binary available? There
> are a number of updated features in the new GRASS versions that would be
> nice for Windows users.

Other developers advised against a 6.5 release I think because it
might add to the version confusion and distract from the push to get a
fully functional and stable 6.4 release.
>From a packaging point of view, it is no problem at all to make 6.5 or
7.0 binaries as both are fully functional on my system. If people
think its a good idea, I can start making binaries for these as well.

On the other hand, for the more advanced users who wish to use these
features, compiling working versions on Windows is now quite easy
(http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/CompileOnWindows)

-Colin