[GRASS-dev] Re: a better console and better diff

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 15 14:07:41 EST 2009

On Friday 11 December 2009, Michael Barton wrote:
> For those that ask, here is a set of screenshots showing using the
> proposed terminal to enter a simple grass command. Hard to capture the
> actual action, but perhaps this series 1-4 conveys it.
>
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_screenshots/console1.jpg
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_screenshots/console2.jpg
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_screenshots/console3.jpg
> http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_screenshots/console4.jpg
>
> Michael
>
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
> > A quick note. I forgot to mention that there is also command history
> > as before. Press ctrl-up or ctrl-down.
> >
> > Michael
> > ____________________
> > C. Michael Barton
> > Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> > Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> > Arizona State University
> >
> > Phone: 480-965-6262
> > Fax: 480-965-7671
> > www: www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu
> >
> > On Dec 10, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
> >> First, thanks to all who advised me on making a diff that actually
> >> patches correctly (I hope).
> >>
> >> Here is a console with full autocomplete and calltips. For GRASS 6.5
> >>
> >> I've put it on auto to show how it can work, but the autocompletion
> >> could move to control key combinations too.
> >>

> >> --Type a grass command. When you get to the ".", it brings up an
> >> autocomplete list of relevant commands. Keep typing (or mouse up/
> >> down)
> >> until you find the one you want and hit return.
> >>
> >> --Press <tab> to see full calltips of command syntax for each command
> >> entered (one command per line please)
> >>
> >> --As you type the command arguments, hitting "=" and "," following an
> >> "=[string]" combination will bring up context-sensitive lists of
> >> relevant maps or other data sets (e.g. regions where appropriate).
> >>
> >> --You can type ctrl-space to bring up a context sensitive list of
> >> maps
> >> for raster, vector, etc. at any place in the command.
> >>
> >> --Pressing return on the command line will run it.
> >>
> >> This will accept shell commands (redirects and pipes don't work but
> >> could), grass commands without arguments (brings up the GUI dialogs),
> >> and grass commands with the short form arguments (r.info mymap) as
> >> well as full grass commands with argument=value format.
> >>
> >> ****IMPORTANT WARNING***** Turn OFF the preferences/configuration for
> >> default raster color tables. This is causing a bug to affect any
> >> command entered from this console or the existing command prompt.
> >>
> >> <
> >> console_example4
> >> .patch><ATT00001.txt><goutput.py><wxgui.py><ATT00002.txt>

Hi Michael,

I applied the patch, and it almost works. After running a command, I am not
presented with a new line-- I need to erase the last command in order to
enter a new one.

Also, there is about a 45 second delay between a d.rast command and output on
the canvas... Do you know what could be causing this?

Finally, after about 30 seconds I received a warning that d.erase wasn't yet
supported.

I like the idea here, but the speed of rendering is far too slow for standard
usage.

Cheers,
Dylan

--