[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #841: python script modules should use pythonw on OSX; they also ignore GRASS_PYTHON

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Dec 21 14:24:59 EST 2009

#841: python script modules should use pythonw on OSX; they also ignore
GRASS_PYTHON
  Reporter:  kyngchaos    |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
      Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
 Component:  default      |     Version:  unspecified
Resolution:               |    Keywords:
  Platform:  Unspecified  |         Cpu:  Unspecified
Comment (by kyngchaos):

 Ah, I didn't know that.  But,

 1. That doesn't cover OSX < 10.5

 2. That sounds like an Apple-only thing.  What about the python.org Python
 binaries?

 I say this because another Apple-only thing is that with /usr/bin/python
 you can select the architecture with an environment variable.  This is not
 available in the python.org binaries.  And it's a strange implementation:
 it responds to the env variable, but NOT to "arch -i386 python".  BUT
 /usr/bin/python2.6 (which is a symlink to  the framework executable) does
 respond to the arch command, but not to the env variable.  So, does
 "python2.6" correctly switch to "pythonw2.6"?

 Apple may think it made life simpler to execute graphic python scripts,
 but it made it more complex because now we have to consider different
 behaviors :(

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/841#comment:6>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>