[GRASS-dev] Re: wxPython GUI code base (was Re: a better console and better diff)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 01:43:20 EST 2009

Michael wrote:
> I used wc -l to count lines and files
> in ./grass65_dev/gui/wxpython (source from develbranch_6)
> and came up with a considerably larger number.
> lines of written code:     91,818
> I wonder why SLOCCount undercounts by so much?

AFAIU it is "SLOC" not LOC. my limited understanding is that it removes
whitespace, comments, and continuations and just reports hard lines of
code. but that does not mean lines of logic.  FWTW, it's just a metric,
it doesn't really mean much. Some commercial programmers get paid per
line of code or have a quota of number of lines per day, with predictably
verbose results. At the other end of the spectrum is the obfuscated C contest which tries to do as much as possible in a single line of code.

It's a bogus as trying to quantitatively measure teaching performance or
research impact with some formula. It gives a rough idea, but only a
very rough one...

> I guess that the SLOCCount 'estimated cost to develop'
> ought to be a lot higher too.

depends on how much you value your time ;)
see the sloccount man page and website for how to adjust that parameter,
and not that was just for the gui/wxpython/ dir. see the main wiki page
for oholo's project development metrics. (which in turn ignores anything
not copied from grass5 and pre-svn..)

anyway, you can comfortably tell folks that the new GUI looks like a
million bucks.

Hamish