[GRASS-dev] Updated WinGrass packaging re python

Colin Nielsen colin.nielsen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:05:16 EST 2009

As discussed on a number of tickets (eg. #580), I have updated the
NSIS packaging script to separate Python from the main WinGRASS
installer. Now, rather than including Python in the package it
provides the option of downloading and running the installers for the
relevant packages (python, wxpython, pywin32, and numpy).

In theory, this should fix some of the compatibility problems WinGRASS
has been having with other Python installations by allowing it to run
off of a previously installed Python. As currently written it only
accepts 2.5 or 2.6 and only if written to the registry in the standard
place. It also reduces the size of the installer.

However, as Glynn has noted elsewhere
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/580#comment:20), the wxpython
versions of vdigit and nviz require build specific versions of python
and wxpython. Since these modules don't currently function on Windows
anyway, this isn't a problem for now...

I'll use the new installer with the next WinGRASS release unless there
are further issues (around Jan 1st). In the meantime should I commit
the changes to develbranch_6 for review?

-Colin