[GRASS-dev] Can Rast_open_* call G_fatal_error()?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 04:11:53 EST 2009

Glynn:
> >  The fix would be simpler if G_open_cell_old() called
> > G_fatal_error() on errors.
> Can anyone think of a reason *not* to implement this change
> in 7.0?

I would expect that anything which wanted to cope with missing
maps would run G_find_* before deciding to do G_open_*.

as this is a rasther big nail in the non-persistent use of
libgis, I'll ask how much of the existing code limiting us to
single use is by design and how much of it is by oversight?
Would we be fundamentally altering the design POV with this
change? (not in a practical sense, but in a design intentention
sense)

400 global variables are not an insurmountable number to slowly
chip away at IMO, just hit each libary one by one for some
years..

Hamish