[GRASS-dev] Issues of 6.5 build on WinXP

Jan Tošovský j.tosovsky at tiscali.cz
Sat Dec 26 13:46:36 EST 2009

Hello,

> 2) Encoding issue, probably the same described in the
> ticket 806 [3]. In all
> > places where localized strings are used in module dialogs
> there are strange
> > characters instead of non western glyphs. I think the ISO
> 8859-1 encoding is
> > probably used instead of UTF-8. In menu system all
> characters are fine.
>
> Yes, it seems to be i18n-related bug. Unfortunately GRASS 6.5 starts
> unlocalized on my (Czech) Windows XP. I have tried to set up LANG
> variable, but it didn't help. Sorry I am GNU/Linux user:-) If I manage
> to run GRASS localized, then I can try to fix the bug.

what is also interesting is a language detection. In the Tcl/Tk GUI it works
fine, but in the wxPython GUI only partially. Without modifying the
environment variable (set LC_ALL=cs_CZ) all the menus are in English, but
several strings in dialogs are in OS language (czech in my case) so some
detection mechanism seems to be built-in. If above mentioned variable is
set, not only complete menu system is localized but also another strings
from dialogs, as can be seen in enclosed images. These additional strings
are encoded properly...

Jan