[GRASS-dev] Connection failure from v.krige to R (Win XP)

Jan Tošovský j.tosovsky at tiscali.cz
Sun Dec 27 05:56:22 EST 2009

Hello Everyone,

I've tried to test new Kriging module. I've installed R tool (2.10.1) for
Win32 with packages gstat, spgrass6 and automap and also the necessary
connector rpy2. A description for setting up the rpy2 is not very clear, but
I finally placed it into C:\OSGeo4W\apps\Python25\Lib\site-packages and it
becomes visible for Grass. When v.krige was started, I got a Python version
conflict as the most recent rpy2 (2.0.8) msi installer contains its version
for Python 2.6 so I've downgraded rpy2 to 2.0.6. It helped.

However, just after invoking the Kriging module a system message appears:
'Are you sure you want to add the information in RHOME to the registry?'.
When Yes button is pressed, another message appears: 'Cannot import RHOME.
Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.'

I reinstalled R from 'Program Files' to C:\R to avoid spaces in the path
(acc. to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187316 ) but it didn't help. The
same result I got after setting the environment variable RHOME to
"C:\R\R-2.10.1".

A command output follows:
v.krige

Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.6.3, released 2009/11/19
Path to GDAL shared files: C:/R/R-2.10.1/library/rgdal/gdal
Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.6.1, 21 August 2008
Path to PROJ.4 shared files: C:/R/R-2.10.1/library/rgdal/proj
GRASS GIS interface loaded with GRASS version: 6.5.svn
and location: cr-wgs84
(Sun Dec 27 10:56:55 2009) Command finished (445 sec)

When localized version is used, there are two extra lines at the beginning,
but it is not crucial I think:
During startup - Warning message:
Setting LC_CTYPE=cs_CZ failed

>From the command log it is obvious some connection is established, but it is
not enough... Is it necessary to tune something a bit?

I use 6.5 version of Grass built from devel6 branch.

Regards,
Jan