[GRASS-dev] gmath and gpde update

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 13 17:43:47 EST 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > The GPL allows you to charge for derivative works (although being
> > unable to prohibit free redistribution tends to limit this).
> >
> > Anyone distributing GRASS binaries is required to provide (or offer to
> > provide) the source code for "the work as a whole" (which would
> > include meschach) under the terms of the GPL.
> >
> > This would then allow the recipient to extract any part (e.g.
> > meschach) and (try to) sell it. While that seems like a rather
> > unlikely scenario, the GPL requires that you permit this, and if you
> > cannot permit it, you cannot satisfy the GPL.
> >
> > And the meschach library appears not to permit it.
>
> That's what I thought...
>
> Interesting that Debian thought it DFSG-compatible...

I don't really see a problem with it. It's a "you do not have the
freedom to make this program less free" restriction, similar to the
restrictions imposed by the GPL.

Essentially, it's a question of how to resolve competing freedoms, and
the meschach licence took a different view to the GPL. It's just a
different (and incompatible) sort of "free".