[GRASS-dev] GRASS addon "r.landscape.evol" major update

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Fri Jan 23 14:58:54 EST 2009

Dear list,

  I'm just announcing a major update to the GRASS addon r.landscape.evol
developed by the MEDLAND team here at ASu. This update adds support and
default dependancy on the new faster r.watershed. This means that
r.landscape.evol is also much faster (trials showed ~53 seconds/iteration
for input maps of  ~1 million cells). Also, a new input variable and
conversion algorithm has been added to explicitly convert
erosion/sedimentation rates from mass/area to actual vertical meters of
elevation change. This function finally allows for the removal of default
dependancy on a neighborhood smoothing algorithm at each cycle, and therby
also helps speed up the routine's runtime. Additionally, I have added an
html help page which explains the workings of the module in great detail.

This will most likely be the last major update to the shell script version
of this module, as I am now in the proces of recoding all LandDyn mosules
into the Python language. If you are interested, please feel free to test
the module and report your results to me. Any other comments are also
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

--

Isaac I Ullah, M.A.

Archaeology PhD Student,
ASU School of Evolution and Social Change

Research Assistant,
Mediterranean Landscape Dynamics Project
isaac.ullah at asu.edu
ullah at archaeologist.com

http://www.public.asu.edu/~iullah