[GRASS-dev] compile error for GRASS 7 on Ubuntu 8.10

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 30 18:31:47 EST 2009

Isaac Ullah wrote:

> I get compile errors in many modules when compiling GRASS 7 on Ubunut
> 8.10. Changing into module directories and running make yield
> incomprehensible errors (see below).
>
> On the same machine and with same configure options I have
> successfully compiled and have running GRASS 6.5 and GRASS 6.4RC3. I
> have no idea what is causing this error in GRASS 7 only, while other
> versions compile perfectly. Configure options and  error messages
> posted below.

> /usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/lib/libgrass_I.so: undefined reference to `G_get_ask_return_msg'
> /usr/local/grass-6.4.svn/lib/libgrass_I.so: undefined reference to `G_gets'

It's linking libgrass_I.so from GRASS 6.4, which isn't going to work.

Note that 7.0 doesn't have a library named libgrass_I; it has been
changed to libgrass_imagery.

My first guess is that your GDAL library was built with GRASS support,
and that it's using GRASS 6.4. You need a version of GDAL which
doesn't have GRASS support; if you need to access GRASS datasets via
GDAL, use the GDAL-GRASS plugin.