[GRASS-dev] Submitting module to addons - r.sundenoise - mentor required

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 3 15:04:44 EDT 2009

Martin,

the discussion here is not about whether to write NEW scripts as
shell scripts
but whether anybody who has many shell scripts will have to rewrite
them into Python to be able to run them in GRASS7. Imagine you have
20 old,
stable, well tested scripts doing complex workflows and a lot of new
work
to do, would you want to spend your time rewriting these old shell
scripts
into Python or rather develop new capabilities? Some scripts may be
worth
rewriting, some not. I think this is what Hamish had in mind.
BTW I am not the person who has lost of shell scripts so for me it
does not matter,
but there are many people who do.
It may slow down adoption of GRASS7 and people may prefer to stick with
GRASS6*, rather than rewrite.

just a few words to support Hamish's view,

Helena