[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 14 07:34:55 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
>   (if it must be renamed, what's was wrong with going back to "field"?)
>   [I remember Radim explained on-list why that was changed when it
>    became "layer", ... need to dig out that thread]

Here are two interesting threads [1,2], the same discussion about
field/layer between Trevor Wiens, Radim Blazek, Michael Barton, and
Moritz Lennert in March 2006:

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-March/021646.html
and responses
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-March/021659.html
and responses

Maybe layer is not that bad after all... GRASS can import several OGR
layers into one vector, each OGR layer will become a separate GRASS
vector layer. The main difference to e.g. several shapefiles imported as
different layers into one GRASS vector is that GRASS builds and
maintains topology for all geometry objects in all shapefiles combined.
OGR layers and GRASS vector layers are not a 100% match, but IMHO pretty
close.

Markus M