[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:57:17 EDT 2009

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> Yeah well I guess I said all I wanted to. I bet everybody's going to be
> glad if I don't interfere anymore :).
Not as far as I am concerned. You emphasize the difference between
shapefiles and GRASS layers, I emphasize the similarity between GRASS
layers and shapefiles. I say we are both right. IOW, you look at
shapefiles -> GRASS layers in one GRASS vector which may not make sense,
I look at GRASS layers -> shapefiles, which is the only way that makes
sense. The discussion should be more about OGR layers than shapefiles as
layers, although shapefile is the most common imported and exported
format. The OGR layer concept is rather broad, and the question is, do
GRASS layers fit into that broad OGR layer concept or not.

Markus M