[GRASS-dev] Re: terminology issues in grass7

Markus GRASS markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:29:04 EDT 2009

Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> It seems that this behaviour depends on the feature types defined with
>> type option. In a quick test with the spearfish dataset, boundaries
>> having no cats are always displayed by default, but if I select layer=2
>> type=area instead of type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face, I get
>> only the areas with a cat value in layer 2 and no boundaries, no lines,
>> nothing else is displayed, and it is not necessary to use cat=1-9999.
>
> But how you deal with the situation I described, i.e. one boundary
> segment of the polygons has a cat value in layer 2 ?
Probably in the way you describe :-) Apparently boundaries are by
default displayed for every layer if boundary is included in the type
option and the cat option is not used. AFAIKT, boundaries only get a cat
value if they are not only a boundary but also have a different meaning
e.g. a road. So it seems your example is a special case where you only
get the expected display with layer=2 type=boundary cat=1-9999. For
areas, the cat option is apparently not needed. I haven't done extensive
testing, but is seems that boundaries are treated a bit differently by
d.vect than other types.

Markus M