[GRASS-dev] Remaining shell scripts

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 19 15:14:31 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> >     scripts/d.out.gpsdrive/d.out.gpsdrive
>
> this is very much like d.out.file in GRASS 6, but it forces window size
> to 1280x1024 and writes georef info to a tile index file for the GpsDrive
> software's backdrop tiles (www.gpsdrive.de). Requires the PNG driver etc
> so won't work with GRASS 7 without a complete change of method. No idea
> how to do that, but it is a useful module for users of GpsDrive + GRASS,
> so if there is a way to get it to work with gr7, I'd be keen to see it
> ported.
>
> If a method is found, it would be nice to recreate a d.out.file too, as
> that is very useful.

d.out.file is meaningless in 7.0, as there is no "current monitor" to
get a list of displayed commands from.

If you want to control the rendering process, one option is for
d.out.file etc to accept a command (e.g. the name of a script) as an
argument, and run the command after setting up GRASS_PNGFILE etc.

But this looks more like something which should be built into the GUI.

> >     scripts/v.out.gps/v.out.gps
>
> to be ported.

I can convert it to Python by rote, but someone will need to test (and
probably fix) the end result.

> >     visualization/nviz/scripts/nviz
>
> unused? (or if used, just a 1-liner)

Pretty much. The nviz binary is a customised "wish"; it needs to be
passed "-f nviz2.2_script", which is what this script is for (for
Windows, there is nviz.bat, which runs the executable directly rather
than using this script).