[GRASS-dev] running v.surf.rst from GUI

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Mar 7 21:37:10 EST 2009

Markus,

thanks for getting back to me on this,

v.surf.rst runs fine from the tcltk gui, it but has several problems
in wxpython gui
(this is for today's update of grass65):

1. It is really hard to find where to put the  name of the main
output "elevation"
  - it is not under tab "outputs" but it is under tab "optional"
which has several inputs
that you actually must define if you don't want to end up
interpolating category
numbers. The tab optional isn't visible, so you need to click on the
arrow to get to it.
I think the elevation should be under outputs

2. I was unable to change the layer number - it was stuck at 1 (this
may be problem
with my installation or I am not clicking on it the right way?,
typing it in, deleting it did not
work either), so there was no way
to interpolate the z-coordinate. I think that the layer number should
be under
input tab (required) - it is in fact required or you will end up
interpolating cats.
I would put column name there too, it is required for default layer
1, otherwise cats
are interpolated. I do not find these defaults convenient but this
was the consensus
by others when s.surf.rst was updated to v.surf.rst.

Otherwise the new GUI is really, really nice - I hope we will be able
to switch to it
for the fall 2009 classes.

Helena

P.S. Any chance for changing default layer to 0 at least in grass7,
to make it possible to run just v.surf.rst mypoints elev=myelev  ?
Without defining layer, it is set to 1 and category number is
interpolated
by default if column is not defined - particularly unpleasant surprise
after running a longer computation. Layer number and column name can
then be
under optional. I can make the change in grass7 if there are no
objections
to see whether it will cause any problems.

P.P.S. Any chance for getting winGRASS under Express install in OSGeo4W?
Our IT did not think the current OSGeo4W design was very good for
installing GRASS.
On the other hand, Marco's installer for GRASS6.3 has been a great
success here.