[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #518: negative flow accumulation with r.watershed SFD or MFD

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Mar 7 22:50:24 EST 2009

There is no question that the default should be kept negative,
although checking whether the result
is correct would not hurt - we can look at it with our Panama
experiments, others using
r.watershed could provide some helpful feedback too.

But adding a flag to keep values positive actually makes sense to me,
if the flag is properly
described (e.g. use positive flowaccumulation even for uncomplete
contributing areas).
User who selects to run r.watershed with this flag apparently knows
that he has
uncomplete watersheds and will be getting negative values that may
not be useful
for his application, so there is no need to tell him that he has a
problem - he would already know it
and for some reason wants to ignore it. I often found myself running
mapcalc abs on the accum
output for various reasons.

BUT for erosion modeling you really want to run r.watershed  with
negative values - erosion models require
upslope contributing area as measure of water flow and if the
watershed is not complete,
water flow will be underestimated leading to underestimated erosion
rates. So the cells with
uncomplete contributing area need to be excluded from the computation
of erosion, and here
the negative values actually come handy.

Helena