[GRASS-dev] v.type.sh question - important for 6.4 release

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 11 07:23:17 EDT 2009

Michael Barton wrote:

> Because the way that v.type works makes it unusable in a GUI, Hamish
> wrote a script wrapper that DOES work in the GUI. Logically, it is
> placed in $GISBASE/etc/gui/scripts.
>
> However, windows cannot execute it there. I'm not sure if it is
> because it needs to have a *.exe put on the end or because it DOES
> have a *.exe and the GUI doesn't reference it correctly. I'm not sure
> if it just needs to be renamed (i.e., drop the .sh), or moved to the
> main $GISBASE/script directory, or what. But I bet that it is pretty
> easy to fix this for windows. I just don't know what to do.
>
> If someone could offer advice, I could get it working for the 6.4
> release.

The way that we normally make shell scripts work on Windows is to
provide a .bat file which explicitly invokes the script via $GRASS_SH.

On Windows, the $GISBASE/bin directory will contain a .bat file for
each script in the $GISBASE/scripts directory. These are created using
the scripts/windows_launch.bat file as a template.

It may suffice to add $GISBASE/etc/gui/scripts/v.type.sh.bat. If that
doesn't work, add an "if windows ..." case to gis.m's "execute"
function, which invokes the script via $env(GRASS_SH).