[GRASS-dev] windows qgis-grass: make grass build with vc or keep a separate qgis-grass mingw build?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:23:14 EDT 2009

Hello. The subject could rise an infinte flame, but it's just to grab
the attention!
I've digged into the windows wgi-grass world last days, and I see it's
in a stall moment.

 1 - Many, in the osgeo4w dev group, is trying to make grass (built
with mingw) friend of the vc built software in the stack.
 2 - Others are proposing to make a deep refactoring of grass code to
make it buildable with vc.
 3 - Others (outside osgeo4w) propose to build qgis-grass with mingw
to distribute them autonomously respect to the vc stuff in osgeo4w.

Well, not a clear situation. And workforce is needed to untie it...
Could we, at least, make a roadmap?

 1 - inidicate the best solution from a windows end-user point of view
 2 - indicate the best solution from a developer point of view
 3 - what can be done with XX money and YY time.
 4 - evalauate intermediate steps to reach the optimum, but having
something useful in the meanwhile

If we reach more clearness maybe we could find contributers and
investors to boost the development.

I hope someone (users and dev) will contribute to this conversation...
Giovanni