[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-windows] windows qgis-grass: make grass build with vc or keep a separate qgis-grass mingw build?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Mar 26 14:05:45 EDT 2009

Hi Markus,

On Thu, 26. Mar 2009 at 12:51:09 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  2 - Others are proposing to make a deep refactoring of grass code to
> > make it buildable with vc.

> could you elaborate on that? What's needed, what's missing in terms
> of *deep refactoring*?

If you try to compile GRASS code with MSVC you'll run into a number of
issues.  Most, if not all, are easy to fix.   Nothing "deep".  I did
compile some of the GRASS libraries with MSVC for QGIS at some point,
submitted patches and Glynn applied them.

But at long as we use only use C and not C++ there's just the issue of
malloc()/free() across DLL boundaries, that is an issue, if you mix
MinGW and VC built code.   I'd consider those bugs - although it's
probably harmless on platforms other than Windows.

FMPOV the build system is the real issue not the codebase.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden