[GRASS-dev] single vs. multiple sqlite db files [was v.db.calc]

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 7 15:23:34 EDT 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> >> I would vote for both approaches. User can decide what he
> >> prefers via environmental variable, e.g. GRASS_SQLITE_PER_MAPSET.
> >
> > I think it would have to be a g.gisenv variable, or perhaps stored in
> > the $MAPSET/VAR file.
> >
> > which way would be the default?
>
> I would plead for per mapset as this allows for more complete database
> approach (i.e. joins, views, etc).
>
> Moritz

I also agree on this matter. I think that one thing that is making this
decision particularly difficult is that we are lacking a robust interchange
format for complex vector data. Dumping from GRASS vectors --> shapefiles -->
GRASS can sometimes lead to data loss. I wonder if further development of the
SQLite spatial datatypes would help address this problem.

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette
Soil Resource Laboratory