[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r37087 - in grass/trunk/gui: scripts wxpython/scripts

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue May 12 10:39:22 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> > > Nothing should need the .bat wrapper once Tcl/Tk is dropped.
>
> the wxNviz (rename?) is coming along nicely* but it is still quite far
> from reaching feature parity with nviz2.2, so it would be nice if
> support for tcl/tk nviz stuck around for a while. AFAIK that doesn't use
> any of the lib/form or lib/gtcltk/ stuff so would just be another
> optional build dep & module. and not pollute the rest of the code.

Okay; but does it need to execute (i.e. "exec" or "open|", not
"source") any scripts?

> ok; after another commit I think that's in a good place now.
>
> but do we still need to tell Windows what to do with the .py files once
> it finds them in the PATH? e.g. also put this somewhere:
>    set .py=%GRASS_PYTHON%
>
> or are ftype, assoc, and possibly even registry keys needed?
>   see
> http://www.deadlybloodyserious.com/2007/05/no-script-arguments/
> http://www.jpsoft.com/help/index.htm?exeext.htm

The Python installer should have done this. Otherwise, we have to.

> e.g. some time ago before python was installed*, I had manually
> associated .py files with Notepad++.  [*]we probably can't count on
> all python.exe installers to associate .py files with it, and even if
> it does, for users not to modify that association to something else.

If users modify the association, they lose.

We shouldn't override any existing setting, as GRASS may not be the
only thing that uses Python.

The setting is system-wide. GRASS doesn't get to apply special
treatment to the .py suffix, any more than it gets to override #!
lines on Unix.