[GRASS-dev] Change in parser behavior?

C Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue May 19 18:54:30 EDT 2009

We've tested on the command line and in both GUI's and are baffled. I've sent the script to Hamish to look at. It simply is ignoring data entered for some arguments. I can find no rhyme or reason to it. I thought it might be float data, but it doesn't seem to matter if we change the types to integer or string. We get the same lack of reading.

We've tried this on many versions of 6.5 from as far back as 30 March to today, and on a Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac system. Other scripts seem to work fine. I don't know if it is the number of arguments or something more insidious.

I tried cutting out all arguments except one, named "R" (R-factor for RUSLE), inserted an ...

echo "R=$GIS_OPT_R"

...  and then ran the script on the command line

>> r.landscape.evol R=50

The terminal returned...

R=R=50

Go figure???

Michael

On 5/19/09 3:48 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

C Michael Barton wrote:

> We've just encountered a strange change in the way the GRASS parser
> interacts with BASH. It's not clear whether it's the parser, BASH, or
> something else.
>
> Previoiusly, if a GUI field was described as
>
> #% type: string
>
> ...whatever was entered was treated as a string, whether the entry was
> an alphabetic character string ("mymap") or a numeral ("50"). When the
> field was read, its value could be stored in a variable and then used.
> So entering 50 in an entry field defined as string would produce "50"
> when parsed.
>
> Now, this doesn't seem to be the behavior of the parser and/or BASH.
> If 50 or "50" is entered into a field defined as #% type: string, it
> is ignored and the value of the parsed variable is empty, OR if there
> is a default value the default is used-even if the default value is
> numeric. So for the following entry from a BASH script..
>
> #%option
> #% key: myfield
> #% type: string
> #% required : yes
>
> ...if 50 is entered, $GIS_OPT_MYFIELD is empty
>
> If there is a default, as below...
>
> #%option
> #% key: myfield
> #% type: string
> #% required : yes
> #% answer : 1.5
>
> ... and 50 is entered, $GIS_OPT_MYFIELD is 1.5
>
> I have not yet tested this on the Mac, but it is showing up in GRASS
> 6.5 (of a couple weeks back) in Ubuntu ver. 9.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?

I can't see any changes to lib/gis/parser.c or general/g.parser which
could have caused this.

Are you testing this from the command line, or via one of the GUIs?

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671