GRASS trac server problems - was Re: [GRASS-dev] Change in parser behavior?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 20 04:33:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> BTW, all the grass trac addresses (ttp://trac.osgeo.org/grass and the
>> like) produce an Internal Server Error. Is the GRASS trac site out?
>
> yeah I see those 500 errors all the time. Usually followed a few minutes
> later by "Database is locked  Oops…  Trac detected an internal error:",
> and a few minutes later it works again.

See
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/357

> My unsubstantiated theory is that either the machine reboots a lot;

No, not the case. But...

> the server software crashes & reloads a lot; or the nightly maintenance scripts
> take things down for a little while and I happen to be in a bad time zone
> for when that happens. Due to the up&down nature of it my guess has been
> more towards the crashing theories.

... no, the real reason is that it uses an ancient SQLite. Having 30 trac
instances to SQLite 3 is a major PITA, so this needs to be well planned.
Additionally, first LDAP changes are needed to get it working with
trac 0.11. [1]

The heavily overloaded SAC team has scheduled this migration but it
still has to happen. Volunteers to assist SAC in general bug squashing [2]
are highly wanted.

Markus

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/365
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/report/1