[GRASS-dev] Need ideas for a masters thesis...

vetter michael mv at ipf.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 16 05:07:53 EST 2009

We already did  a method to derive river centerlines based on r.thin and
a method to calculate cross sections (see the scripts). It is not a
method to derive the flow line of the river, but you can calculate the
center line of the river.

For those you need a very precise water surface polygon. To derive such
a high quality water surface you need a ortho image or a good DTM like a
1m LiDAR DTM. By doing a classification using region growing of height
differences and the slope.

you can check out the scripts here:
centerline:
http://www.uibk.ac.at/geographie/personal/vetter/scripts/v.centerline.sh
smoothline:
http://www.uibk.ac.at/geographie/personal/vetter/scripts/v.smooth.tar
crossprofile:
http://www.uibk.ac.at/geographie/personal/vetter/scripts/v.crossprofile.tar

The sand or gravel banks are really a big problem in deriving a water
surface. Such a solution is presented in:
Höfle, B., Vetter**, M., Pfeifer, N., Mandlburger, G., Stötter, J.
*(2009)*: Water surface mapping from airborne laser scanning using
signal amplitude and elevation data. Earth Surface Processes and
Landforms, p. 1635-1649. DOI:10.1002/esp.1853.

good luck,
Michael