[GRASS-dev] Shell scripts

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 25 05:37:50 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> The following shell scripts are still being installed in GRASS 7:
>
> etc/Init.sh
> etc/gui/scripts/d.path.sh
> etc/prompt.sh
> etc/wxpython/scripts/p.rast
> etc/wxpython/scripts/p.cmd
> etc/wxpython/scripts/p.mon
> etc/wxpython/scripts/p.db
> etc/wxpython/scripts/p.vect
> bin/nviz
>
> etc/Init.sh should probably remain as a fallback in case Python isn't
> installed (it's called from grass70.sh, which is installed in e.g.
> /usr/local/bin).
>
> etc/prompt.sh could be converted or could remain as a shell script.
> It's only used in conjunction with bash.

[...and useful IMHO]

> bin/nviz should be redundant once the Tcl/Tk NVIZ is replaced with the
> wxPython version, but that may take a while.
>
> The remaining question is whether d.path.sh and the p.* scripts should
> be converted to Python or removed. I don't think that d.path.sh works
> with the GUI. The p.* scripts appear to be an attempt to implement
> d.mon-like behaviour for the GUI, but I don't know whether this is
> functional.

The p.* scripts are semi-functional and should be rewritten to Python.
Not having d.mon/d.rast/d.vect/d.zoom commands is for me, Helena, others
the obstacle to not use GRASS 7 as primary version.
Since the needed (wx)GUI pieces are there, I still hope that someone skilled
is rewriting it in Python. For us it is essential to continue with command line
in GRASS 7.

thanks
Markus