[GRASS-dev] bug discussion: startup problem with standalone winGRASS install and custom python

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 14:28:47 EDT 2009

Tim wrote:
> Dear GRASS developers,
> some 5 months ago I reported the following issue:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/570
>
> It's basically the problem that GRASS won't work on Windows
> when another Python installation is on the same system
> (PythonXY in my case).
>
> As Windows compatibility is the target for 6.4 release,
> please probvide me wth some ideas on how to get rid of the
> bug.

the delay is because we simply have no one to work on the
problem.

There are similar problems on Mac, but there we have Michael
and William actively stamping out the brush fires. The byproducts
of that work should make the Windows port easier; ie mis-
assumptions in the code generalised.

I think we need to recruit a python + Windows expert to help
solve the problem. The same is true for the WinGrass wxVdigit
and wxNviz no-run. For those we need someone to get in touch
with the Windows python packaging people and ensure that more
configure information makes it into the next releases(?).
(I'm a bit hazy on that stuff)

so no solutions sorry. the same lack of windows developers means
our whole 6.4.0 release has been delayed a lot, which is
frustrating for everyone. It has been ready to go on Mac and
Linux for months.

regards,
Hamish