[GRASS-dev] problems with datum parameters tables

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Oct 13 01:39:13 EDT 2009

I'm working on the GUI location manager and have run into a couple of
irregularities in a couple of the projections parameters files. I'm
sending this to the list instead of keeping it in the location wizard
track ticket because they are a more general issue that will affect
projection/location creation by other means too.

In proj-parms.table, the entry for "GEOS" is incorrect. There should
be 3 subentries for each entry: projection code, projection
description, and required parameters. However, GEOS is missing the
projection description.

GEOS:HEIGH=ask,35800000.0;LON0=ask,20.0

The following entry has the correct format

GINS8:Ginsburg VIII (TsNIIGAiK):LAT0=ask,0.0;LON0=ask,20.0

GEOS is the only incorrect formatted entry in the file. It also is NOT
in the datums.table file. So either it should be:

1) deleted from proj-parms.table, or
2) added to datums.table and a descriptive field added in proj-
parms.table

Because it cannot be correctly parsed, I'll just skip it in the GUI
location wizard. But if we are going to use this projection, it needs
to be corrected in the 2 tables.

Also, in the proj-desc.table, several entries are incorrectly
formatted. None of them are used by the proj-parms.table and so they
probably should be removed from the proj-desc.table file. All are
missing their description fields that are needed so that they can be
read by a user. They are:

GUAM:bool:guam:
OALPHA:lat:o_alpha:
OLAT1:lat:o_lat_1: