[GRASS-dev] RC5 on Mac OS X

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at openosx.com
Tue Sep 1 17:52:07 EDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 9:04 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

>> Which leads me to the question, how is launching it from the GUI
>> (selecting 3D view) different than from the command line?
>
> nviz from the terminal is opening the TclTk NVIZ.  In the Python GUI
> it's the wxPython NVIZ.

I see, that makes sense.

Should _grass6_wxvdigit.so and _grass6_wxnviz.so be linked to
libwx_mac? Because they are not, and that is where the symbol that
_grass6_wxvdigit is failing to find lives.

>>> Are you using a wxpython binary install or your own compiled
>>> version?  I have not seen libwx_base_* as a normal OSX prefix for
>>> wx libraries, they're usually libwx_macud_*.
>>
>> I looked at the instructions a bit better, and noticed that they
>> recommend to use the "--enable-monolithic" flag on Mac OS X which
>> creates the libraries that you are accustomed to.
>>
>> But after making sure the old libs were deleted and rebuilding
>> GRASS I still get the same exact errors.
>
> So, you're saying that you did compile your own wxPython?  But then
> you rebuilt with the monolithic option?  Did you then distclean
> GRASS before recompiling it?
>
> 3 things to try:
>
> - make sure you have /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/
> wxredirect.pth, maybe your wxpython build didn't install this for
> some reason. and make sure that you don't have any older wxpython
> junk in your site-packages.

Odd - I don't have that file in my source or in /Library:

find /usr/src/wxPython-src-2.8.10.1/ -name "*wxredirect*"
find /Library -name "*wxredirect*"

Both returns nothing.

> - the system wxpython meets the minimum requirements.  Try deleting
> your wxpython and reconfiguring GRASS to use the system wxPython.

I did not know that wxpython was included with Mac OS X, thanks.

> - try installing the latest wxPython binaries from the wxpython
> site, instead of compiling your own.

I will try both of these suggestions now...

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock, Owner
<http://OpenOSX.com>
phone: 208.462.4171