[GRASS-dev] OSX Snow Leopard problem with python

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Sep 6 23:37:11 EDT 2009

After some tinkering, I found that the utils.reexec_with_pythonw() is
not working.  I was able to manually run the GUI by commenting the
utils.reexec_with_pythonw() lines in wxgui.py and menuform.py and
starting the gui with

pythonw "$GISBASE/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py"

On Sep 6, 2009, at 6:28 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> I had some problems getting wxpython GUI to run after upgrading to
> OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard.  I thought I might need to rebuild (I was
> using the Leopard binaries), but that doesn't help.
>
> When I got GRASS to execute to correct Python (another issue I know
> how to workaround), starting the GUI does nothing.  With DEBUG level
> 5, I get:
>
> GRASS 6.5.svn (spearfish60):~ > g.gui wxpython
> D1/5: Attempting to start 'wxpython' GUI ...
> D3/5: forking 'python' ...
> re-executing using pythonw
> GRASS 6.5.svn (spearfish60):~ >
>
> And the GUI never appears.  I kinda wonder if it has something to do
> with the old fork/exec problem that started with Leopard (or was is
> Tiger), and maybe now instead of a warning, it simply fails (nothing
> else in the console log).
>
> ?
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."
>
> - Ford Prefect

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war