[GRASS-dev] some impressions on the wx interface

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 20:30:12 EDT 2009

Hello Helena and Robert.

>On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 14:28, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the students were using most the "load map layers into
>> workspace" icon, instead of "add raster" or "add vector". I don't know
>> if this is because "load maps" is more to the left of the toolbar, and
>> if you read from left to right, you see it before the others. I think
>> that it would be better if the three "workspace" icons were at the far
>> right of the toolbar. Also I would put the "add raster" and "add
>> vector" icons  with a different image, to highlight them from the
>> others.
>
> I am not sure about this - I did not observe students using load map layers
>  - maybe you have shown
> the students the load map layers first and they stick to it even after they
> find out
> about add raster.

Actually I didn't even know about the "load map" before the workshop
(wasn't using the wx interface much). I always use (and teach) the
"add raster". But the workshop was very fast-paced, so maybe they got
a little lost and start hovering the mouse over the GUI to find out
what the icons do, and starting from the left, "load maps" comes
before "add raster".. I still think the workspace icons should go to
the far right of the toolbar.

>On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 17:37, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl> wrote:
>
> Which version are we talking about?
> http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/icons/grass2/element-add.png
> http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/icons/silk/overlays.png
> http://grass.itc.it/grass64/manuals/html64_user/icons/grass/gui-rastanalyze.gif
>
> I agree with you. None of them is good :)
> Any idea how it should look like?
> Explicit version like this one?
> http://robert.szczepanek.pl/icon/0.1/overlay-add.png

I forgotto say, I'm using the default "grass2" icon set. The explicit
one you pointed is better, but still maybe one icon per overlay?
(legend, north arrow, text)?

cheers

Carlos

--
Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
a.k.a. Guano - Linux User #89721

http://digitalelevation.blogspot.com

http://www.igc.usp.br/pessoais/guano