[GRASS-dev] legends and scales

helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 17 00:29:15 EDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 12:23 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2009, at 9:02 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>
>> talking about legends - how about making the default size smaller -
>> would that help?
>> I just went through a long assignment with many legends and settled
>> at something like
>>
>> d.legend mymap at=5,50,2,5
>>
>> (at=5,50,2,5 is typed into wxGUI and conveniently stays there so
>> I just change the name of the map and move the legend wherever
>> needed).
>> I always size the display window so that I have a white area next to
>> the map
>> and put the legend there. That way I did not have the problem that
>> you mention
>> with the scalebar.
>> It would be nice to have a sizing option for the scalebar too
>> (using at=... similar to the one for legend would work).
>> That way map elements could be all placed in the white area and won't
>> interfere with the map image.
>
> These are both dependent on the underlying GRASS modules, d.legend
> and d.barscale.
>
> There is no way to size d.barscale and it has limited customization.
> d.legend can be sized. Right now, it initially displays at its
> default size (I don't know what that is exactly). You can change
> this in the legend options panel.

yes - that is what I was doing.

What I have suggested was to change the DEFAULT size of the legend to
something half the size-it is too big and unless you figure out that
you can change the size
with at= (which most newcomers cannot) you are stuck, and for old
users it would
be just more convenient (no need to figure out what those 4 numbers
mean, I never
remember it correctly).

Helena