[GRASS-dev] default GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Sep 22 16:18:49 EDT 2009

Michael Barton wrote:

> I agree with Martin on this. The wxPython GUI is certainly robust
> enough to be the default GUI for GRASS.

Are you basing this on running the wx GUI on the same system that it
was compiled on? Or using binaries compiled on a different system?
Getting the former right is much easier than the latter.

> But there are packaging and
> version issues that we need to solve in order to do this and not get
> flooded with reports of the GUI not starting or working correctly. We
> are close on these but not quite there.

The problem is that if there are any compatibility issues between the
user's wx libraries and the version used for the vdigit module, it
won't just affect the vdigit module, but the whole GUI.

The vdigit module will never be entirely immune to wx compatibility
issues, or to issues caused by it using the GRASS libraries. This is
inevitable.

What isn't inevitable is inflicting these issues on the main GUI by
having it import vdigit as a module; that's just bad design.

And it's not as if this hasn't been mentioned several times since
almost as long as the vdigit module has been around.