[GRASS-dev] Broken text mode interface for creating new locations in RC5?

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 07:18:37 EDT 2009

Dear all,

for some reason I am no longer able to create new locations or mapsets
in text mode using GRASS 6.4 RC5.

Creating a new location from scratch, I get as far as this:

Please enter a one line description for location <new>

> This is a new location
This is a new location
ok? (y/n) [y] y
ERROR: region for current mapset is not set
       run "g.region"

Attempting to create a new mapset in an existing location, I get:

apset <<newuser>> is not available

Mapsets in location <bruszczewo>
----------------------
(+)PERMANENT           (+)user

note: you only have access to mapsets marked with (+)
----------------------

Would you like to create < newuser > as a new mapset? (y/n) [y] y
ERROR: region for current mapset is invalid
       <projection field missing>
       run "g.region"

And indeed, the WIND file for the "newuser" has just two lines:

proj:       0
zone:       0

Using grass64 -tcltk, I am able to create new mapsets in
existing locations, but creating new locations fails with the
same error. I cannot try wxPython, as I don't have that running
on my machine.

Can you think of any changes in the way that the WIND files
are generated which may have broken the text mode interface?

Cheers,

Ben

------